Legal Counsel EMEA/APAC
Setting the scene
As Legal Counsel EMEA / APAC, you will be part of the global Legal, Audit, Risk & Compliance department, with colleagues based in Belgium, US, China in a world-leading, innovative, technology company, backed by investors, focusing on long-term shareholdership.
You will work out of the company’s headquarters in Kortrijk or our Liège office, expected to be physically present in Kortrijk at least once a week, ideally on Tuesday to attend our team meetings.
You will report to the General Counsel.
- You act as a business partner to our business and functional teams in the EMEA and APAC (excluding China) regions.
- You will actively assist with the negotiation (drafting and redlining contracts, participation in meetings and video, etc.) of a broad range of commercial contracts (NDA, sales, distribution, purchase, SaaS, licensing, joint developments, data processing agreements, …), work on corporate law matters related to the EMEA/APAC subsidiaries (incorporation, liquidation, directors and shareholders meetings). Finally, you may also need to handle litigation.
- You will be involved in transversal improvement projects (digitization, automated workflows, archiving, e-learnings) to further professionalize the team’s operations and optimize its services to its internal customers.
- You will have frequent international contacts with colleagues in other functions like sales, service, purchase, marketing, R&D, commercial partners, and will take part in business discussions and commercial negotiations, sometimes also abroad.
- Belgian qualified lawyer preferred. Multi-lingual candidates from other EU jurisdictions with demonstratable software licensing experience will also be considered. International exposure such as a post-graduate education or work experience abroad, is a definite plus;
- At least five years of work experience, preferably a mix of bar and in-house practice, ideally with an international technology or industrial company;
- Knowledge of corporate, commercial, IP/ICT and competition law. A strong software contract and/or GDPR background is considered a plus;
- Solid experience in reviewing, drafting and negotiating typical Anglo-Saxon contracts;
- Mature, integer and stress–resistant professional, a team player with a real roll-up-your-sleeves attitude, strong communication, negotiating and interpersonal skills and a good sense of humour.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to identify and resolve complex problems in a decisive manner, to use intuition and common sense to escalate relevant issues and propose pragmatic solutions in a concise manner.
- Strong command of English, both oral (active participation in meetings and calls) and written (reviewing and redlining contracts). Knowledge of Dutch and French highly preferred. Any additional language skills (French, Spanish, German, …) is a plus.
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, …).
We offer you the opportunity to join an integrated legal team within an international company committed to success, with the impact of your drive and energy reflected in the company’s results.
You will work out of the company’s global HQ in Kortrijk. After a successful integration trajectory, you will be able to work from home two days a week. If you live in the south of Brussels, you can also work from our Liège office. However, you will be expected to be physically present in Kortrijk at least once a week, ideally on Tuesday to attend our team meetings.
We also offer a rewarding salary package in line with your experience.