Junior Legal Counsel
DEME Group, headquartered in Zwijndrecht, is market leader in dredging, environmental and marine engineering business solutions, such as: port construction and improving maritime access worldwide. DEME has been creating land for 150 years and will continue to do so in the future.
In an operational environment with an involvement in complex contract structures, with high expectations from clients and with increasing regulatory restrictions from authorities, DEME today is able to offer its worldwide clientele a total solution, bringing together state-of-the-art expertise and top partners to focus on economically viable long-term projects in the ports and maritime, offshore wind, green hydrogen and infrastructure sector that benefit concession owners, users and private-sector partners, through a variety of innovative international contract forms (turn-key, Engineering-Procurement-Construction (EPC), Design-Build-Finance-Maintain (DBFM), Public-Private Partnership (PPP), Early Contractor Involvement (ECI), etc.), in which contractual, financing and project insurance techniques go hand in hand.
To strengthen its Legal Department, DEME is looking for a Legal Counsel.
You will be part of the Legal Department with an extensive team of in-house Legal Counsels, each of them covering and responsible for one or more geographical areas in the world, DEME business units and particular professional domains.
Your function will mainly focus on public procurement law, contract law, construction law, at Benelux level in relation to the complex contract structures, as detailed above. In close cooperation with the other DEME departments, you will assist the Benelux projects on any contractual issues that arise before contract award, during contract execution and as from contract completion.
- Analyzing (public and private) tender documents, identifying and understanding the legal aspects thereof (contractual and extra-contractual exposures, liabilities,…) and providing hands-on advice in respect of such issues to the project team.
- Manage various sorts of commercial contracts that have been entered into as part of large and complex construction projects (construction contracts, engineering contracts, shipbuilding and ship repair contracts, joint venture contracts etc.) and being responsible for the legal follow-up of those contracts.
- Providing practical legal advice on a various legal questions related to DEME’s activities in the Benelux.
- Following up Benelux litigation in which DEME is involved.
- You hold a Master in Law.
- You have minimum 7 years of experience in aforementioned areas, preferably as a lawyer or in-house counsel in an international environment.
- You are fluent in Dutch and English. Other languages are an asset.
- You are able to manage projects autonomously.
- You show a talent for negotiating complex contracts and transactions.
- You have strong communication and relational skills.
- You show creativity with regards to elaborating and providing solutions.
- You have an open, unprejudiced, and international view.
- You show curiosity and intellectual mobility, you are eager to learn and have an open mindset.
- You are known for your availability, as well as responsiveness, tenacity, and willingness to succeed.
- You are well organized and stress resistant, capable of handling multiple projects.
- You are assertive, self-confident and a true team player.
- You are prepared to travel for a limited period of time and at short notice.
- An extensive mobility program for a healthy work-life balance;
- A permanent training track which allows you to develop yourself personally and professionally;
- A stimulating, innovative workplace with numerous growth opportunities;
- A people-oriented environment with an interactive health program and a focus on employee wellbeing.