Website Gilead Sciences
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.
Legal Director – Gilead Sciences Belgium & Luxemburg
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, oncology (including the new therapies) and inflammation.
Gilead’s affiliate for Belgium & Luxemburg, Gilead Sciences Belux is seeking a Legal Director. The role is a leadership role being also a member of the affiliate Leadership Team with high exposure at affiliate level as well as at a Global and ACE (Australia, Canada, Europe) level. In parallel, it is an operational role with accountability for personally delivering and overseeing execution by the Legal Department of a high volume of legal and compliance support on a wide array of issues which will require a responsive, hands-on mentality and approach. A key responsibility of the Legal Director BeLux is to be a legal advisor and business partner to the General Manager (GM) of the affiliate and the Leadership Team members. The role also requires negotiation skills being involved in Pricing and Reimbursement processes both with internal and external stakeholders. The Legal Director is also the Business Conduct (Compliance) Advisor to Gilead Sciences BeLux providing oversight and being accountable for compliance of the day-to-day activities of the affiliate.
Job duties include:
- To attend and actively contribute to discussions and decisions at Leadership and Management Team meetings, including the Leadership Team, the Affiliate Compliance Committee, the Project Review Team, the Grant Review committee, the Pricing Committee and other functional committees, providing highly responsive legal and business partner support.
- To represent the Legal & Business Conduct function both internally and externally (e.g. Pharma.be’s Legal Commission and National Ethics Group). To effectively manage relationships and partnership with the external law firms/ counsels that provide first in class advice.
- To bring good judgement and common sense and offering business-oriented solutions to the affiliate legal needs that involve multiple stakeholders and accommodate different needs and perspectives.
- To be a Legal and Business Conduct Advisor to Gilead BeLux providing oversight and being accountable for i) compliance of the day-to-day activities of the affiliate (including its interactions with sensitive stakeholders (HCPs, HCOs, patient groups, payers, media and other stakeholders) with Gilead’s policies and with applicable laws, regulations and codes ii) FCPA/Bribery Act and local acts and iii) operation of internal processes and appropriate monitoring activities to pro-actively identify and address any potential business conduct compliance risks, iv) meeting transparency obligations regarding payments made to HCPs and HCOs.
- To support the affiliate’s Business Units, Market Access team, Commercial Operations and functional departments (Medical, Regulatory, Finance, Government and Public Affairs and HR) on all legal matters, with an analytical approach, strong attention to detail, excellent drafting, negotiation and communication skills.
- Bring strong leadership skills and capabilities allowing to successfully manage in a complex environment, ability to think strategically, anticipate challenges and execute against corporate and functional goals and objectives.
- To be a fast learner and to bring a strong command of Belgian, Luxembourgian and EU healthcare regulatory, pricing & reimbursement, competition & antitrust, data privacy and commercial contracts with support of specialist in-house counsels (e.g. Gilead’s International Competition Law Counsel and Global Therapy Area Counsels).
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- The Legal Director must be an experienced professional with a diverse experience and excellent communication skills verbally and in writing.
- Must have the ability to operate with a high degree of autonomy and very competently lead in a high performing business environment and must be able to work through complex issues, including those involving significant strategic risk to the company.
- An ability to apply judgement to areas outside of core competency is required. Effectively and practically deliver legal and business advice that mitigates risk with the ability to influence people and defend recommendations throughout the company.
- Should be analytical with an ability to pro-actively anticipate areas of risk and initiate efforts to address them.
- Capable of acting as a project team leader on multi-disciplinary projects.
- Must be able to partner with other departments to achieve company goals that cross multiple functions.
- Proven experience in representing the Legal function on country-wide or region-wide strategic initiatives and highly complex cross-geography business transactions.
- Lead or serve as a strategic member of key projects with high visibility to senior management across Gilead.
- Proactive counselling to client business partners on potential opportunities and the associated legal and business risks and will be ready to represent ACE Legal on legal initiatives that have company-wide impact.
- As a member of affiliate’s Leadership Team the Legal Director will act as a strategic partner on issues that require both legal, business knowledge and expertise and have the ability to implement locally global or international legal projects.
- Be able to take the initiative by identifying and implementing process or other changes in ways of working to ensure that focus in Legal/BC remains on managing key risks and making best use of available resources.
- The ability to lead, coach and develop team members is a key requirement.
- Operationally excellent
- Organised with systematic approach to prioritisation
- Process orientated to achieve the business objective
- Resilient profile with the ability to deliver in an ambiguous environment
- Patient and with an ability to explain and to engage and manage multiple stakeholders to achieve the objective
- Curious with learning agility
Gilead Core Values
- Integrity (always doing the right thing),
- Teamwork (collaborating in good faith),
- Excellence (working at a high level of commitment and capability)
- Accountability (taking personal responsibility).
- Inclusion (encouraging diversity in all its forms)
Summary of Key Competencies:
- Belgian qualified lawyer
- Business acumen
- Good judgement
- Integrity and good ethics
- Leadership competency
- Calm temperament
- Good Communicator
- Corporate governance understanding
- Crisis management ability
- Decision-making skills
- Negotiation skills
- Foresight and identification of trends
- Legal know-how
- Media awareness
- Problem-solving ability
- Time management skills
- Management skills (including ability to involve and coordinate internal and external resources, as well as delegate and supervise)
- Language skills: Fluency in Dutch, French and English
Om te solliciteren gaat u naar de volgende link: https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/gileadcareers/job/Belgium---Brussels/Legal-Director_R0014207-1 →