Tokyo-headquartered Bridgestone Corporation is the world’s largest manufacturer of tires and other rubber products as one in five vehicles in the world drives on our Bridgestone, Firestone or Dayton tires. We employ over 140,000 people around the world and sell our products in more than 150 countries.
While our tire manufacturing, wholesale and retail businesses will continue to be the foundation of our company, we have embarked on a journey to exploit the opportunities that the evolving mobility ecosystem is offering. Our most relevant and sophisticated customers need products embedded in services, with sensors in vehicles, parts and stores, through applications and solutions. To answer these customers’ needs, we are building our digital technology platforms with a blend of services and products which we are developing in our Digital Garage, an open innovation platform, where Bridgestone Marketing, R&D, IT and our external partners work together to leverage on each other’s capabilities.
About the role
We are looking for an individual to develop and drive our ethics and compliance programs in Europe, the Middle East, Africa as well as Russia and the CIS, and as of next year also India (“EMEA”) where we employ more than 20,000 teammates.
You will be based in our EMEA headquarters in Zaventem (10km from Brussels). You will work closely with an international group of 25+ team members, located in 12 different countries throughout the EMEA region, who act as regional and business unit compliance resources for their key clients and take their direction and guidance from you.
You will report to the EMEA General Counsel and be in charge of driving the compliance strategy laid out by the Global and EMEA General Counsel, through (i) the development of a comprehensive business ethics and compliance program for EMEA, (ii) the coordination of the build of the infrastructure required to drive a compliance culture for all of our team mates in EMEA, and (iii) the roll out, implementation and finetuning of the tools and processes needed to enable such program and culture.
In addition, you will be part of the EMEA Legal Leadership Team and sit on the Global Compliance steering group through which you will drive our global compliance efforts.
What’s on offer for you:
Our EMEA business has made great strides in its compliance efforts over the last couple of years when the position was first created, resulting in a new Global Code of Conduct, an EMEA-wide employee hotline and the roll out of a training platform. As the incumbent is now moving on to a different role in our Department, this role provides the opportunity for a process-oriented, execution-focused change agent to drive our compliance program to the next level, identifying key areas for immediate and medium term improvement actions. This requires collaborations and engagement with our leadership team, the other regional business units and the senior counsel in charge of them and our corporate headquarters. Also, as we have significantly staffed up our function with over 15 in-house counsel less than three years with us, you will have the possibility to turn the local and regional counsel into a broad geographic network of compliance leaders, assisting you in the implementation of your initiatives. In addition, the Legal Function has been selected as the first pilot for creating a Global Department, spanning all territories and business units. Ethics and compliance are key elements of this globalization agenda, and in this role, you will have a key role to play in these efforts and, sitting in the Global Compliance steering group, will allow you to significantly contribute in shaping and deploying global compliance initiatives. This further creates opportunities for personal deployment and growth.
What are the key responsibilities?
- Develop and implement, together with the General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer and the regional business lawyers, an effective Compliance program for the company, with a view to create a robust compliance culture in the organization, focused on prevention (Code of Conduct, training), detection (reporting and whistleblower mechanisms) and response (including investigation capability building), enabling business units and functions to own their own compliance efforts, supported by dedicated business lawyers;
- Develop and implement, together with the General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer and the regional business lawyers, an effective Compliance communication program for our business, including promoting understanding of new and existing compliance issues and related policies and procedures;
- Together with the General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer, the regional business lawyers and Internal Audit, ensure that reported concerns are promptly and thoroughly investigated, with suitable corrective or remediation action and disciplinary measures where appropriate. Generally exercise oversight over specific investigations in the designated area; strengthen the compliance investigations training program;
- Develop, maintain and revise policies and procedures for the Compliance Program, run the day-to-day operation of the Program, and drive its implementation through the regional business lawyers;
- Collaborate with Control functions (Internal Audit and Finance) and other support functions (e.g. HR);
- Monitor regulatory activities to remain abreast of the status of all compliance activities and to identify trends;
- Coordinate the identification and tracking, in conjunction with the business and regional support lawyers, of potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, and develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues;
- Develop an effective compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees as well as ongoing training for all employees and managers;
- Document and maintain the firm’s compliance training record for employees.
Your qualifications and soft skills:
- Hold a Master’s degree in Law, Finance or Business Administration;
- Demonstrate a minimum of 6 years proven compliance, audit, regulatory, and/or legal management experience, preferably in an industrial environment, including experience in building compliance infrastructure internationally;
- Have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence individuals at all levels of the organization and operating in different cultures, geographies and functions;
- Be able to innovate and implement fit for purpose compliance and risk management programs and systems;
- Be able to accomplish high-level objectives in the context of annual compliance plans;
- Excellent communication and influencing skills;
- Excellent team working skills;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work under pressure;
- Be pragmatic and independent, but seek continuous improvements and progress in implementing the highest ethical standards;
- Be fluent in English – both written and spoken, any additional European languages are a strong plus;
- PC literate and confident with reporting software packages;
- Strong project management skills;
- Experience in Middle East and Africa is a plus
Diversity and inclusion are a central part of Bridgestone Europe’s values at the highest level. This is key for our people to show a passion for excellence for improving society connected to the world in which we live. Our commitment to diversity, is linked to our founders mission of ‘Serving Society with Superior Quality’, which is essential in shaping and creating the organisation, serving all people, respectfully, connected to our business. We recognise that everyone is different and that attracting, developing and retaining our employees will create a sustainable working environment which is essential to our success.
Om te solliciteren gaat u naar de volgende link: https://career5.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=27866&company=C0000031808P&username →