Website Baker McKenzie
Knowledge Lawyer for Antitrust & Competition, EMEA (the “Group”)
Business Services Function
Any Baker McKenzie Office in EMEA, preferably Brussels
To manage and execute legal content projects, training and knowledge initiatives for the Group within the context of the Firm’s knowledge strategy
About the Group
Baker McKenzie’s Global Antitrust and Competition Group comprises one of the largest competition practices in the world with over 300 lawyers and professionals focusing on all aspects of competition law. Group lawyers advise and help clients navigate all aspects of antitrust and competition law, including compliance training, advisory, transaction approval (merger clearance), investigations, litigation and cartels. Over 300 lawyers in the global team work collaboratively across 75+ offices, enabling them to quickly bring the right talent to every issue and to provide sound commercial advice on high-stakes transactions. The global team is ranked among the top 5 global elite practices in the world, by Global Competition Review and is the go-to legal team for many of the world’s leading companies.
The Global Antitrust and Competition Group actively builds and maintains a broad network of stakeholders in its field such as economists, directories, publications, conference organisers, and industry bodies, to raise profile and promote the global group’s work. The group expects the Knowledge Lawyer to be actively engaged in these efforts.
To make first-class Antitrust & Competition Group knowledge from EMEA easily available to lawyers, increasing the quality, consistency and/or cost-effectiveness of the advice that Baker McKenzie gives its clients, including:
Knowledge and Expertise
- Precedents. Draft, develop and automate the Group’s precedents and other legal content
- Current awareness and commercial/industry knowhow. Keep abreast and provide regular updates on key developments impacting the Group. Apply an understanding of Key Clients’ industries and businesses to all activity. Work with other Practice Groups (PGs) and Industry Groups (IGs) to provide the most holistic legal, commercial and industry knowhow possible. Leverage industry periodicals and media to enhance industry knowledge. Involve self with industry bodies, including by coordinating attendance at meetings and calls and by joining working groups and subcommittees
- Lawyer requests. Respond to ad hoc enquiries from lawyers with on-point, thorough and timely answers.
- Develop a reputation as a go-to expert
- Knowhow development. Collect and input the Group’s knowhow into the Firm’s global repository of knowledge and populate global, multi-jurisdictional databases and resources. Identify gaps in knowhow and work to fill them, ensuring content development is progressive
- Training. Identify the Group’s training needs. Meet training needs by delivering, participating in and promoting training. Leverage Firm resources and processes to produce training materials and courses efficiently and of the highest possible quality
- Client-facing knowledge. Provide legal input into client-facing initiatives, including client training and legal content for proposals and other business development resources. Identify Group hot topics and write, commission and deliver content such as alerts, thought leadership reports and talking points. Educate self about PG/IG’s Industry Key Clients
- Policy initiatives and capacity-building. Participate in and respond to policy consultations and regulatory developments
- Relationships. Promote and identify ways to strengthen the Group’s knowledge culture. Build lasting relationships throughout the Firm through collaboration, mutual respect and a reputation for competence. Advocate and be a positive spokesperson for Knowledge. Nurture relationships with trainees and junior lawyers. Support diversity and inclusion, CSR and pro bono activities
- Operations and innovation. Proactively seek ways to improve your own and team’s service and efficiency and contribute to best practices. Actively participate in Knowledge projects
- Systems. Support and drive adoption of Knowledge systems. Take ownership of delivery. Schedule one-on-one meetings and presentations to promote Knowledge systems
- Strategy, alignment and integration. Understand and promote the Group’s business and Knowledge plans. Structure time and priorities in accordance with the Group’s business and Knowledge plans and provide input into them
Some travel may be required.
About the team
The Knowledge function is a global team of nearly 300 professionals, including Knowledge Lawyers, Information & Research team members, and a variety of other functional specialists. Our purpose is to help the Firm deliver better legal solutions by producing and making easily accessible high quality, relevant legal information for lawyers and clients. In pursuance of this highlevel goal, our focus is on three key, strategic areas:
- Content. We create, collect and make available market-leading content in the form of precedents, sample documents, practice notes, training materials and other knowhow for our lawyers and clients to use, ensuring that this is regularly reviewed and, where relevant, updated so that it remains current.
- Systems. We work with our IT colleagues to design, develop and build user-friendly but flexible platforms to store knowhow and deliver it intuitively to our lawyers and clients in a timely and effective way, adopting common systems across all offices and practice/industry groups.
- Culture. We strive to establish Knowledge as a core part of every lawyer’s role, engaging actively with all lawyers in the Firm and encouraging them to share their own knowhow and expertise with colleagues as openly as possible. We also adopt a “one team” culture within the Knowledge Community across the network, ensuring that all team members are aligned with our global strategy and approach. Our content must be local, but our systems, policies and processes should, wherever possible, be global.
You will report to :
Lead Knowledge Lawyer for Group (noting key relationships below).
Your direct reports, if any
Your clients are the partners and lawyers in the Group, as well as practice group lawyers who have expertise relevant to the Group. You will receive day-to-day project assignments and overall direction from the Group’s Lead Knowledge Lawyer as well as the Group’s chair and steering committee.
You must liaise closely with other members of the Professional and Business Services team – especially within the Knowledge function – to ensure that Knowledge projects and initiatives are carried out consistently with the Firm’s overall business objectives and its Knowledge strategy.
About the candidate
- Law degree
- Current license to practice law (or eligibility for one)
- Substantial experience as a practicing lawyer with direct involvement in the Antitrust & Competition area
- Excellent English language skills (verbal and written) and the confidence to communicate in a multi-cultural, multi-level environment. Fluency in one or more other languages (ideally French, German, Italian and/or Spanish) would be an advantage
- Experience working directly with senior counterparts on strategy and execution
- Excellent time management and organizing skills; ability to prioritise and manage time to meet deadlines
- Strong word processing and spreadsheet skills
- Experience in or willingness to learn document automation and other legal technology
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm’s specialist fields
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion
About Baker McKenzie
Baker McKenzie helps clients overcome the challenges of competing in the global economy. We solve complex legal problems across borders and practice areas. Our unique culture, developed over 65 years, enables our people to understand local markets and navigate multiple jurisdictions, working together as trusted colleagues and friends to instill confidence in our clients. This is an exciting time to join us as we invest in and further develop our Professional & Business Services organisation, providing rewarding and challenging career opportunities in all of our world-class business functions.
We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all. Our unique international culture is reflected in
he drawing together of a worldwide family of individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds in all of our offices. We encourage the best people — regardless of race, religion or belief if any, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or age — to fulfil their professional aspirations with us.
Om te solliciteren gaat u naar de volgende link: https://bmcareers.bakermckenzie.com/GLBviRecruitExt/viRecruitSelfApply/ReApplicantEmail.aspx?Tag=9a1ff217-3883-4ffb-a8b5-54a9c21cd3f5 →