Microsoft has an immediate opening for an experienced commercial attorney to join its European Legal Central Team (ELCT), which is part of the company’s Corporate External & Legal Affairs department in Europe (CELA).
Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
The ELCT is a highly-motivated, solution-oriented team that includes attorneys and other professionals based in multiple locations across Europe and whose mission is to drive scale for our European legal support working across the region’s most strategic initiatives. One of the most important areas of the team’s focus is unblocking complex and strategic commercial transactions in Europe by providing subject matter expertise and supporting readiness for the commercial legal team in Europe on new and emerging concepts and business initiatives. The successful candidate for this role will be a trusted advisor and partner for CELA’s commercial attorneys in Europe, Microsoft’s headquarters in the United States, and rest of the world, as well as for key Microsoft business groups across Europe. This role is an individual contributor that will operate as part of cross-functional legal and business teams that drive these transformational deals. In addition to its support for scaling through readiness and subject matter expertise on topics critical to key business strategies, the ELCT supports a diverse body of work in the region, including strategic deal support, legal support for consumer, operations and partner channel business groups, and paralegal support across a wide variety of commercial needs.
For the right successful candidate, the permanent location within Europe may be flexible.
General responsibilities for the position include:
- Subject Expertise – You provide actionable advice on legal and business matters and serve as an important contributor for clients and colleagues; you have an in-depth understanding of general contract laws and you engage with colleagues to identify and share best practices; you have an understanding of legal principles and interpret legal information.
- Issue Resolution – You resolve issues by managing interactions with outside counsel or other service providers.
- Communication – You organize and simplify issues and ideas in written or verbal communication; you work collaboratively within and across Legal and Corporate functions; you develop positive relationships with external and legal professions, customers, and partners to advocate for Microsoft’s interests.
Specific responsibilities for the position include:
- Legal and Strategic Support – You provide legal and strategic support both indirectly and directly for transformational commercial engagements in Europe to include commercial negotiations, transactional contract drafting and stakeholder alignment across functional legal and business groups, including supporting business and legal teams that are focused on the European Public Sector and Healthcare Sector.
- Subject Matter Expertise – You provide legal and strategic support both indirectly and directly for transformational commercial engagements in Europe working with expert stakeholders in headquarters, including on issues relating to privacy, public sector and the healthcare sector.
- Drive Innovation – You innovate at scale and operationalize our legal support in privacy, public sector and healthcare for complex, commercial transactions with our internal legal and business teams as well as external advisors.
- Community building – You provide expertise and lead efforts to build skills and scale for effective legal support of commercial engagements for Microsoft’s European commercial legal community.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Negotiations – The ability to achieve mutually satisfying agreements in negotiations with others by listening to their objectives, acting as the company’s representative to effectively communicate the company’s objective, and seeking common ground and collaborative solutions.
- Analytical Thinking – The ability to collect information and identify fundamental patterns/trends in complex data of legal relevance. This includes the ability to gather, integrate, and interpret information from several sources; use information to generate insights; and make decisions.
- Business Acumen – The ability to understand the parts of the business and their interrelationships. This includes skill in understanding the industry, competition, and expected future developments and challenges, the business’s competitive strengths and weaknesses, opportunities to grow the business and reduce operating costs; and awareness of the environment for opportunities.
- Legal and Regulatory Requirements – Knowledge of the rules, regulations, sanctions and other statutory requirements, guidelines, and instructions relating to governing bodies and organizations, both internally and externally.
- Legal Acumen – The ability to interpret, analyze, and advise on the company’s legal position. This includes the ability to apply knowledge of the legal framework related to one’s practice area, use legal information to diagnose key issues, and develop strategies and plans.
- Contract Law – Knowledge of the principles and precedents regarding contract law and the ability to apply this knowledge to draft and negotiate contracts using legal information to accurately diagnose business realities, identify key issues, and develop strategies and plans.
- Technology Industry Knowledge – Knowledge of trends, direction, new products and changes in the technology as it applies to a particular area of focus, as well as specific knowledge about hardware, software and services.
- Creative Legal Thinking – The ability to develop and present creative arguments and opinions to support the organization or negotiate solutions.
- Privacy – Knowledge of rules and Privacy standards and principles.
- Relationship Management – The ability to demonstrate interpersonal flexibility in order to forge strong collaboration and partnership in a multi-cultural and language environment with a demonstrated commitment to work effectively in a team. This includes expressing empathy and compassion when dealing with the needs and problems of others, being approachable, taking time to address the concerns of coworkers, and treating others with respect and dignity.
- Client Communications – The ability to communicate clearly, diplomatically and effectively to an audience that may include senior levels of management and other clients and stakeholders verbally and in writing.
- Language – Excellent written and spoken English.
- Independence and Efficiency – The abilities to work independently and efficiently, meet demanding deadlines, prioritize workflow and adjust to frequent workload fluctuations from the changing needs of a dynamic business.
- Completion of a Legal Apprenticeship OR Juris Doctorate Degree or Equivalent International Degree.
- Active license to practice law in a jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in a European jurisdiction.
- 7+ years experience as a practicing attorney or equivalent practice of law.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 3+ years experience as an attorney specialized in commercial contract negotiations, preferably with a blend of experience at a reputable law firm and in-house at a global company is preferred (experience with advising on legal aspects of technology is a plus and a passion for technology a must).
- 2+ years experience as an attorney specialized in data protection, preferably in relation to the data protection aspects of technology at a reputable law firm or preferably in-house at a global company.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Pour postuler à ce poste veuillez visiter careers.microsoft.com.